Tuesday, February 16, 2010

iTunes Poems


In order to change up the sometimes dull pace of this blog, I thought I would try something different. Technology has been integrated into almost every aspect of modern human life, including my own. I thought that I would let two completely different forms of technology speak for me instead of painting an extremely biased view of myself.

For the first one, I wanted to let my music speak for me since 2005 and onwards. Since I don't have my macbook anymore and I never really used LastFM all that much, I will be going through my iPod in a very unscientific manner and choose ten songs from each year that were important to me or that I listened to a lot. I broke this down into periods of my life, and there is going to be some overlap/errors in this. But taken together they may paint an interesting picture of my life at that specific point.

2005 and before
1. Everybody's Fool - Evanescence
2. Meant To Live - Switchfoot
3. Into the West - Annie Lennox
4. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces - Ben Folds Five
5. Let's Get Retarded - Black Eyed Peas
6. Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
7. I Don't Want to Be - Gavin DeGraw
8. Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
9. All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
10. Can't Get You Out of My Head - Kylie Minogue
11. All I Want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
12. Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
13. Pop - *N'SYNC
14. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
15. Through Heaven's Eyes - Prince of Egypt Soundtrack
(Since this covers many years, I allowed myself 15)

2006
1. Exit Music (For A Film) - Radiohead
2. I Bet You Look Good at on the Dance Floor - Artic Monkeys
3. Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben Folds
4. Everytime We Touch - Cascada
5. Hung Up - Madonna
6. I Write Sins Not Tradedies - Panic! At the Disco
7. Sugar We're Going Down - Fall Out Boy
8. Across the Universe - The Beatles
9. What You Waiting For? - Gwen Stefani
10. Only - Nine Inch Nails

2007
1. Move Along - All American Rejects
2. The Way We Get By - Spoon
3. Fidelity - Regina Spektor
4. Painted by Numbers - The Sounds
5. Bruised - Jack's Mannequin
6. Maneater - Nelly Furtado
7. Grace Kelly - MIKA
8. Le Disko - Shiny Toy Guns
9. Take A Bow - Muse
10. Time is Running Out - Muse

2008
1. Let It Be - Across the Universe
2. In My Arms - Kylie Minogue
3. Ironic - Alanis Morrisette
4. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You - Madonna
5. Heard the World - O.A.R.
6. Sick and Tired - Anastacia
7. Damaged - Danity Kane
8. Dead End - The Format
9. Going On - Gnarls Barkley
10. Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap

2009
1. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
2. You Don't Know Me - Ben Folds
3. I Don't Wanna Be in Love - Good Charlotte
4. You and I Both - Jason Mraz
5. Amazing - Kanye West
6. Just Dance - Lady Gaga
7. Lost Ones - Lauryn Hill
8. Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
9. Electric Feel - MGMT
10. Live Your Life - T.I.

2010 thus far
1. Wake Up - Arcade Fire
2. La Roux - Bulletproof
3. Alejandro - Lady Gaga
4. X-Static Process - Madonna
5. L.E.S. Artistes - Santogold
6. Shove It - Santogold
7. Imagine - Glee Cast and John Lennon
(It's still early in the year)

I wonder what that says about me? Some of those songs are embarrassing and I had to exclude a lot in order to make a top ten for each year. Next post will be a Twitter poem.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like my music journey so far has been me moving further and further out of my comfort zone. In the last year especially I've been getting further away from my typical love of European and retro pop and have been exploring more rap and indie.

Michael said...

Ah! I forgot to include Chicago by Sufjan Stevens!

Zachary said...

Go Santagold!

Erin MacCartney said...

This is going to be totally random...
was looking for a backround for my Myspacepage, started reading your list of music, and was shocked! it was so similiar to what one i would make would have been, i was a bit freaked out.
so, just so you know, you have a musictwin or yeah whatever, in norway

Meant To Live - Switchfoot
I Don't Want to Be - Gavin DeGraw
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Through Heaven's Eyes - Prince of Egypt Soundtrack
Everytime We Touch - Cascada
Across the Universe - The Beatles
Move Along - All American Rejects
The Way We Get By - Spoon
Fidelity - Regina Spektor.
Let It Be - Across the Universe
Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap
Ironic - Alanis Morrisette
You and I Both - Jason Mraz
Supermassive Black Hole - Muse,
are some of the most played in my playlist!
haha, sorry, just felt it was to much to be a coinsidence... anyways. hope you dont mind me using the picture on my page?
soo, yeah thanks :)