Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Pre-College Life


Well a few days ago I went to my college orientation. I wonder where the time has gone. It feels as if 2000 was not too far back. And as time keeps moving forward, I am hit in the face with the critical question, "What the hell am I going to do with my life?!" But for now, all it takes are baby steps, and my first was orientation.

It is always awkward, being thrown into a new situation with complete strangers. I have a very shy tendency when around new people and for most of the time, I hid myself behind a barrier of silence. I was frustrated with myself but I was unable to find any words to say. However, at times I was more social. The dance party a.k.a Club Inferno was interesting. It sounds gay, and in a way it was. But I did shake my white "thang" and danced with almost complete strangers. It is weird how you can get to know someone without even knowing their name.

One of the biggest aspects of UIC that I love is the diversity. I was so tired of my white-washed surroundings that meeting and knowing people from other ethnicities and backgrounds is exciting. One of the exercises that we did as group really changed the mood and made me feel better even while they were reading off all the racial slurs. We are all racist in some way.

After all was said and done, I walked through Chicago and took in my surroundings. I love the city. And even as I walked though unknown places, I was happy. For once in my life I was alone, and totally self-dependent in a foreign place. Most people would say I am crazy, and I would agree with them. The train ride home was interesting. I always like how when you sit next to some stranger, the awkward tension is like an invisible barrier that brings two people as far apart as possible. It's weird how nobody wants to sit next to someone they don't know, even me. I had to break that wall in my mind. Soon, I will be a city-slicker. I know, that scares me to.

No comments: